Image: The Age
On Saturday night I went on a hot date (with my husband!) to Melbourne's 'hottest' restaurant, Mamasita.
Since opening in February, Melbourne has gone loco for this this authentic Mexican restaurant. Headed up by the crack team of Chef Jason Jones and run by Matt Lane (ex-Cumulus Inc), Mamasita is part-taqueria (that's "taco shop" if you're wondering), part high-end tequila bar and part late-night supper club. They have also struck the winning combination of fresh, inspired tastes; bang-on staff that are friendly and knowledgeable and an effortless but buzzing atmosphere.
Here's what we noshed on:
- Elotes callejeros - ‘’Street Style’’ chargrilled corn with queso, chipotle mayonnaise and lime
- de Pescado - Grilled fish with lime, achiote paste & red onion salsa in soft taco shells
- de Huitlacoche - A Quesadillas with Mexican truffle, mushrooms, roasted corn, epazote and queso fresco
- Ensalada de Nopales - Cactus, red peppers, green beans, queso fresco & lime
- Slow Roasted Goat - Unfortunately Mamasita haven't updated their menu online, so I can't give you all the details of this dish. What I can say though, is it was incredible...muchos tasty...even for a goat-eating virgin like me!
Mamasita lives up to the hype...and then some. Olé!
PS: You can't book, so arrive early to avoid waiting in a mega queue.